07 August 2016

DIY Facial Surgery

I'm not going to name any names.

Could these be the faces of those older white guys* who would vote for a rich right-wing racist demagogue?





Could they be the ones who are in danger of losing their jobs--or have already lost them, or never had them in the first place--and vote for the very candidates who destroy their jobs or send them overseas?

Could they--children or grandchildren or great-grandchildren of immigrants, all of them--vote for someone who wants to build a wall between this country and its neighbor, and wants to ban all adherents of the world's largest religion from entering the United Sates?

Could those folks--half of whom would have trouble coming up with $400 to meet an emergency expense--be the ones voting for someone who would make it easier for employers to get away with paying less than minimum wage to immigrants?

Could they--whose schools, hospitals and infrastructure are crumbling--vote for someone who'd slash funding for such things--just to make sure "freeloaders" from other countries can't have them?

Tell me:  Do they really, knowingly, go into the voting booth and cut off their noses to spite their faces?

*--Disclosure: Had it not been for my transition, I'd be an old (or old-ish) white guy!  





2 comments:

  1. Justine,
    I AM an older white guy, and I remain stumped as to how these folks can conclude that the Donald has the answers to all their troubles. That they seem totally unperturbed and unaffected by his outrageous actions and comments only deepens the mystery. I have always been mostly apolitical,but this election cycle and it's possible ramifications for us all have left me very nervous indeed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim--Honestly, I can't understand how anyone who isn't really rich or doesn't totally hate him or her self (and the world) can vote for The Donald. I think a lot of previously "mostly apolitical" people feel the way you do!

    ReplyDelete